- Cygwin is a UNIX environment for Windows. It consists of two
A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a
UNIX emulation layer providing substantial
UNIX API functionality.
A collection of tools, ported from UNIX,
which provide UNIX/Linux look and feel.
- The Cygwin tools are ports of the popular GNU development tools for Microsoft Windows. They
run thanks to the Cygwin library which provides the UNIX system calls and environment these
Additional Cygwin packages
100 dpi fonts
Cyrillic fonts, etc.
- To update your system, you must run setup.exe TWICE. First, run setup
and update ONLY the ncurses package from 5.2-5 to 5.2-7. UNSELECT any
other packages. Continue until setup completes and exits. Second, run
setup and install the new terminfo, libncurses5, and libncurses6
packages. Continue until setup completes and exits. You MUST do BOTH
steps, or your cygwin installation will be broken.
User Guide to Cygwin [Chapter 4. Using Cygwin/XFree86]
- The Cygwin tools are ports of the popular GNU development tools and utilities for Windows NT and 9x. They function
through the use of the Cygwin library which provides the UNIX system calls and environment that these programs require.
Mailing Lists for Cygwin
- 10 mailing list archives for banter
cygwin1.dll not being installed
- Some poor sap with the same problem I
KDE Cygwin FAQ
Physics Department support software for WIN32
- The following software titles are UNIX programs that I have ported to WIN32 platforms, and
must be run on the cygwin UNIX emulation system. A few of these compiled cleanly on my
cygwin test system, others, like teTeX required substantial modifications to the source codes to
render them compilable.